Bowen Island is an island that is part of Metro Vancouver and is within the jurisdiction of the Islands Trust. Located in Howe Sound, it is approximately 6km wide by 12km long with a land area of 50.12km and it's closest point is about 3km of the mainland. The population is approximately 4250 and during summer Bowen Island receives roughly 1,500 visitors.
Public roads are maintained by the Bowen Island Municipality. There are also roadside walking trails in only a few places and the terrain is hilly and winding. Private vehicles are the primary form of transportation besides hitchhiking.
Bowen Island is served by a number of small businesses including marinas, cafes, gift shops, grocery stores, a post office, pharmacy, restaurants and a building supply yard. Bowen Island's commercial sector is primarily located within Snug Cove and Artisan Square.
- Turn right out of the hostel and walk down until you reach W Georgia St.
- Head to the bus stop across the road opposite London Drugs.
- Hop on bus #257 Horseshoe Bay Express and stay on approximately 6 stops.
- The last stop will be Horseshoe Bay. Get off here and make your way into the ferry terminal to buy a ticket.
- Approx ~ 1hr 24 mins each way | Transit - $3.10 each way| Ferry - $10.95 return